Firearms and Ammuni Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking back to the days when someone on the old site (Reddbecca, maybe?) was talking about problems with raccoons, and a variety of creative answers involving high voltage and catapults were proposed, and that brought to mind the eternal question of varmint rounds.

I'm not quite sure, but I don't think that I've ever seen a sintered bullet in .458. If it's around 200 grains I'm pretty sure I can push it out of a rifle barrel at around 3000fps.

200 grains of sintered metal at 3000fps should convert a skunk into a red fog with alacrity. So where do I get some of these?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think so. I've just watched the same manufacturers' videos as everybody else, pretty much.

I have an idea for some tests in mind, but the farm has had me on the run so it may be a little while.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh my.

Thank you very much, markinalpine. I think I might have to invest in some of those and see what they do to various targets.

The coyotes have been prowling around, and I think that one of those projectiles scooting along at a little over 2000fps (I load mine hot) might just persuade one of them to dissolve into a red fog.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a Marlin 1895CB. It is a beast of a gun and I love it. It's my bear gun.

Of course, if the bear happens to be a possum in the wrong place at the wrong time, or the bear happens to walk on two legs and wear trousers, I wouldn't put it down and fetch something else.

But 1200fps isn't how I load those rounds. Over 1900fps is more like it.

Another option would be to load some of my .357 Magnum brass with sinterfire for the 1894C. That's a great varmint gun, especially if I have to go find them in the forest.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't find the 1895CB to be too bad. I think that the crescent buttplate fits me pretty well. Since I live in the great Pacific North-Wet, I spend a lot of time wearing heavy clothing and that soaks up a bunch of the recoil.

I always heard that the Ruger No. 1 was the real recoil monster because it's so light.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.