Firearms and Ammuni Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm certainly no electrician by any stretch of the imagination. But I know enough about the work involved to make a lamp or two. And that's pretty much what I did. And it's a lot more fun than some might think.

At the moment, with the frosted globes, and the Christmas bulbs, they're more decorative than anything. But I had enough brains to use sockets rated for 75 watt bulbs, so that can be changed if desired. But I can't do much about the globes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since the black lantern was the prototype of the two, the work is rougher than I'd like. But there's not much I can do about that. By the time the red lantern came around, I knew what I was doing, and what I wanted to do, so it was a lot easier.

The frosted glass provides greater flexibility since the colored bulb can easily be swapped out for something different. Unfortunately lighting isn't properly uniform, meaning I either need something stronger than a 7 watt Christmas bulb, or I need to paint the globe a single color, put a full 60 watt bulb in, and see if it can still light it up to a desirable degree.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I find myself in need of some assistance on this matter. I can work with AC just fine, but DC power gets to be more complicated for me.

The basic idea is to take one of these cheap lanterns, and a cheap LED flashlight, and combine them to make an LED lantern with old-skool aesthetics, but without costing a lot of money, and without running on 2D batteries.

I have a basic idea for how to do the wiring, the cutting, the grinding, and the fitting that will be necessary. But what I absolutely don't know, and can't find, is information on what swapping out the three AAA batteries at 4.5 volts, in favor of a single 9 volt battery, might do to the diodes if they're exposed to double the electricity. Any help would be much appreciated, as I don't want to order in parts I don't need.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be perfectly honest, Masher, I'm not sure if the batteries were in parallel or serial. I studied AC, not DC.

All I know is that the flashlight uses one of these battery holders to keep everything from rattling around. http://www.amazon.com/Black-Battery-Hol ... ery+holder

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.