Firearms and Ammuni Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an effective way to wash a relatively small number of cases by hand? Say a bucket of dish soap and water with a toothbrush? We're talking 10 or 20 cases at a time, so nothing too tedious. Would this be a much worse idea than I'm guessing? Any major pitfalls to consider? Will it remove all the contaminants that I need to remove for safe and effective operation? I don't really care whether the brass gets all shiny or not. So long as it's safe and shoots straight. :)

Once I have things sorted out space-wise, I'll be getting a tumbler or sonic cleaner of some kind. And until then I can probably beg or borrow a friend's equipment for my high volume stuff like .45 and .223. So that will work.

But most days I only really shoot 20 rounds or so of the .308, so I can take my time and really practice productively. Feels like that would be a good match for the hand press when it arrives, but it would also be nice to do my own case prep on small volume loads so I'm not entirely reliant on the kindness of others.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. Most of the books seem to caution against getting deposits and other crud caked on the inside of your sizing dies, if you don't clean the spent cases adequately. Sounds like you've found that's largely a non-issue.

Do you run carbide dies mostly? Or use plenty of sizing lube? Maybe they're just covering their butts against something unlikely.

You might be on to something with the towel comment. Looks like quite a lot of people just wipe them down thoroughly with a solvent-soaked towel or clean rag. Could be a reasonable middle ground, and wouldn't result in water contamination. Looks like I have some more research to do. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the paper manuals and most of the supplies arrived today. Sure enough, Lyman concurs... Wiping off any grit and residue with a clean absorbent cloth appears to be sufficient in their eyes too. Good enough for me I reckon, at least while I get my feet wet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, that's a rather cunning idea. Might see if I can find a suitable bag and give it a shot.

Applesmasher: You mention cleaning the dies. Sounds like an excellent idea periodically - any preferred techniques?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.