Firearms and Ammuni Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think the article sums it up quite nicely on its own.

The interior of a plane is a specific environment that isn't suitable for common ammunition. After a target is hit from a short distance, conventional bullets can cause catastrophic damage to the aircraft, or kill an innocent passenger.

To prevent that, the Czech researchers focused on developing projectiles that get deformed once hitting a target, significantly reducing the chance of passing through.

The result of testing in an underground lab is 9mm ammunition with a brass bullet, weighing about 5 grams (0.18 ounces). It leaves the gun at a speed over 500 meters (1,640 feet) per second, higher than the 350-400 meters per second that is common for this caliber, providing a sufficient wounding capability.
This is stuff designed to wound individuals in a very confined area that's unsuitable for normal ammunition being used. They have to deal with sub-par goods because of location. Use quality ammo to honor those that can't.

And then there's this story. https://www.policeone.com/police-he...ne-cop-carries-145-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job/

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Granted that stopping the threat is paramount. However with others in my home and there being homes/houses next to mine I must sincerely consider those factors (over penetration, ricochet etc...).
I have learned of Corbon/Glaser Safety Slugs which I never heard of before a couple of days ago, thanks to one of my very best friends. I now have both Blue and Silver coming in .380, 9mm and .45ACP for me to test.
I am just a regular guy, in my opinion of myself, but I train in civilian life as I trained in the Army to shoot in the face/head not the chest.
I am hoping for great results.
And thank you guys for the posted links!!! I am studying that information also.

·
Registered
129 Posts
When this topic comes up, I always make the recommendation of analyzing your home, and setting up a specific point in which to direct fire to minimize the risk to others. Look for a direction where bullets penetrating the outside wall won't hit the homes of your neighbors, and set up a defensive position at the opposite end of there. If everyone in the home sleeps upstairs, and there's nothing immediately outside make the stairway a tunnel of pain and death for any home intruders stupid enough to break in.

Trying to clear your home like a SWAT team is going to put you at a disadvantage. Wait for the threat to come for you, and give them a one gun salute when they enter your gun sights. Repeat as necessary.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I think the article sums it up quite nicely on its own.

This is stuff designed to wound individuals in a very confined area that's unsuitable for normal ammunition being used. They have to deal with sub-par goods because of location.
I spent a lot if time talking to airline pilots and they assured me that shooting a hole in the exterior of an airplane was a non-issue. Airplanes already leak like a sieve and have an air compressor to keep cabin pressure at a regulated rate. The explosive decompression like in the movie "Goldfinger" is a Hollywood fabrication. It doesn't work like that.

Regular ammo will work just fine in an airplane.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I spent a lot if time talking to airline pilots and they assured me that shooting a hole in the exterior of an airplane was a non-issue. Airplanes already leak like a sieve and have an air compressor to keep cabin pressure at a regulated rate. The explosive decompression like in the movie "Goldfinger" is a Hollywood fabrication. It doesn't work like that.

Regular ammo will work just fine in an airplane.
I knew that explosive and continuous decompression was nothing but a myth, but I had no idea airplanes leaked air like a sieve and had to be continually replaced to maintain pressure.

Apparently you do learn something new every day.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The most important thing for a bullet to do is to STOP the threat. Fast and light weight bullets do not do that very well.

Stick with the "best ammo" as found on this site.

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm
As of late, I have discovered what I believe at this time, to be the best self defense ammo for pistol calibers .380 - .45 acp. Lehigh Defense's line of ammo. Their Extreme Defender is impressive, and Controlled Fracturing, Maximum Expansion, and Extreme Penetration variations are all equally impressive to say the least. Both lehighdefense.com and underwood.com offer what I consider the best ammo created. Hope you give it a try, albeit, a very pricey load, but I believe you're worth it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When this topic comes up, I always make the recommendation of analyzing your home, and setting up a specific point in which to direct fire to minimize the risk to others. Look for a direction where bullets penetrating the outside wall won't hit the homes of your neighbors, and set up a defensive position at the opposite end of there. If everyone in the home sleeps upstairs, and there's nothing immediately outside make the stairway a tunnel of pain and death for any home intruders stupid enough to break in.

Trying to clear your home like a SWAT team is going to put you at a disadvantage. Wait for the threat to come for you, and give them a one gun salute when they enter your gun sights. Repeat as necessary.
I'm with you all the way on this strategy. I also have setup my home with self defense in mind. The intruder home invader is walking into an ambush he'll not recover from. When the soft music starts while I'm sleeping in the middle of the night, the intruder has breached a window or door and 'must' shoot one or both of my 125 lb. Shepherds. Then he dies.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.