I have been interested in Mausers lately. Got a couple of them with my C&R and refinished them, enjoying the whole thing.

I was interested in getting a Turkish Mauser and have been looking for a nice one. I was frustrated, as most of them are "rough". Those Turks didn't believe in babying a rifle.

I finally found one on the net and made a deal on it. I got it a couple of days ago and when I opened the box, I was very disappointed. It was as rough as a cob.

I didn't even take any "before" pictures, as I wasn't sure I could even save this one. The cosmoline had been removed by the previous owner, but there was no finish and the stock looked like someone had used it for a boat anchor.

Man, I was disappointed. But I figured, "What have I got to lose?"

The metal didn't look too bad and I figured I could at least make the wood look a lot better. So, to work I went.

Here is the finished product, at the range this morning.

e35-1

I had sanded the stock thoroughly and Tman and I had stained it with alcohol-based stain.

I then applied several coats of Satin Poly.

e35-2

It had come out pretty nice after all.

The metal wasn't too bad after

I cleaned it up and did some cold bluing.

e35-3

One of the main difference that makes a Turk easy to spot is the lack of wood over the front half of the barrel.

e35-4

This one had a small wood repair from the arsenal, to prevent a stock split.

It was a dove-tailed type of repair.

It was well done.

e35-5

Of course, the big question is: Will it shoot?
smilie wink

I tried some of my 8mm handloads.

e35-6

Here's the first 5 shots at 50 yards.

Not bad for an old rifle and 58 year old eyes.

e35-7

The crest on the receiver said it was arsenal refinished in 1946, making it 60 years since that date.

e35-8

I shot a bunch of milsurp ammo through it today, but had some misfires.

The ammo works fine in other rifles, so this one must have a weak firing pin spring.

I'll order a Wolff replacement.

Shoots hard, kicks hard, and hits what I'm aiming at.

e35-9

Conclusion:
How you gonna beat it?

Is this a great hobby, or what?