• .458 SOCOM

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .50 Beowulf

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I really like the old faithful 5.56 for versatility and availability. It's really hard to argue with the ability to buy cheap military surplus ammo by the case load and squirrel it away in volume, at least in my mind. But if you've already got at least one AR in the standard chambering, this may not matter so much.

300 Blackout is ballistically excellent, but I feel like it's still a very new cartridge - too new to judge long term viability. If you want to reload it, however, that may be a very attractive option given less reliance on commercial offerings.

I've shot the Grendel a couple times in a friend's rifle, and liked it, but don't really have enough experience with it to judge outside of that one firearm. And no experience at all with the other options listed, so I can't pick any of them in good conscience.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Tough choice. Each one has its advantages and disadvantages. Made even tougher by the lack of certain other mainstream calibers like the .308/7.62 NATO.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just looking at chamberings I might buy, or which people I'd spoken to really liked.

5.56 NATO is obvious.

300 AAC Blackout is popular with people who want a bigger bullet but like the idea of suppressing.

I keep hearing about how quiet but accurate 9mm in an AR-15 is, and the ammunition is very cheap.

6.5mm Grendel is pretty popular for people who wanted a bigger bang and make bigger holes. Usually in my experience the same people call 5.56 a varmint round.

7.62x39mm is also cheap, and popular as an intermediate cartridge.

The last two are for the crazy thumper adherents, I'm not sure why I'd get one but they seem popular.

·
Registered
129 Posts
applesmasher said:
The last two are for the crazy thumper adherents, I'm not sure why I'd get one but they seem popular.
Because an AR-15 with .45-70 ballistics is nothing to sneeze at.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Becks said:
applesmasher said:
Because an AR-15 with .45-70 ballistics is nothing to sneeze at.
I'd like to see a 30 round magazine for the .45-70! :shock: In EBR format. The Gatling had hoppers the assistant gunners topped off as the gunner cranked the handle.

Mark :mrgreen:

·
Registered
129 Posts
markinalpine said:
I'd like to see a 30 round magazine for the .45-70! :shock: In EBR format. The Gatling had hoppers the assistant gunners topped off as the gunner cranked the handle.

Mark :mrgreen:
True. But let's see you sling a gatling gun across your back, after fitting it with an ACOG scope.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.