Firearms and Ammuni Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
A steel tank that is hit by a non deforming bullet will flex and ring like a bell and send the bullet right back where it came from in absolutely ideal circumstances.

I have an experience. I was once blasting at a concrete column over the course of a few weeks, just tearing holes in it with my 9mm. Apparently at one point, I developed a lead buildup in a corner of stone. When the next bullet hit it, guess what? that caused an elastic collision between a bullet and a layer of lead that fired that bullet directly back at me. I was hit in the face, about 6 inches off of the direct line of the shot.

Since this was a high kinetic energy round of soft lead that expended enormous amounts of energy deforming both bullet. lead glob, and putting shock and momentum into the column of stone, there was very little energy left when it hit me. Using a .380 FMJ and a steel plate that was exactly perpendicular to the line of the shot would have sent it straight back with little loss of energy. A person would be able to duplicate this effect any day of the week, but I'd use a remote gun to do so.

It can also be duplicated by shooting bbs at a stop sign. You'll shoot your eye out.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts